Among the first settlers in Hermann were 33 Catholics. Although they had hoped to build a church as early as 1840, construction on the stone church did not begin until 1845. Work was completed in 1850, one year after the arrival of the first duly appointed pastor.
The first church, built on the site of the present church but situated from north to south, was 50 feet long and 36 feet wide. The church was enlarged in 1866 by a 14-foot brick addition on the south side. The addition served as the sanctuary and sacristy.